Next up was McRitchie Winery & Ciderworks, it was just a few miles from Grassy Creek. Be careful not to miss the turn though, it is kind of hidden as you are heading up the hill. I wasn't initially planning on stopping here since it was a little out of the way and to be honest the guys pictured on their website didn't really "look" like wine guys:) But this is one time that the book definitely shouldn't be judged by the cover. They may not look the part, but they definitely know how to play it well. I would probably say that top to bottom this is the best winery we stopped at on our trip.
We started our tasting with the 2008 Foggy Mountain Chardonnay, it is unoaked with great tropical fruit notes, very crisp and clean. By far the best North Carolina Chardonnay I have tried. Next up was the 2008 Fallingwater White, this is an off-dry blend, it was sweet but not over the top. To use Traci's term, it was a "hot tub wine". I suspect a lot of people that don't normally like wine would like this. It was smooth, lightly sweet finish, with lots of fruit on the nose. A very easy drinking approachable wine.
The 2008 Pale Rider Rose' was next, this is a dry Sangiovese rose'. I'm not really a rose' fan, but this wasn't bad. Next was the 2007 Ring of Fire red, its a blend of Petit Verdot, Cab Franc and Cab Sav. This was the star of the line up in my opinion. A very nicely balanced wine with deep cherry and chocolate flavors. The tannins are evident but not overbearing. This wine is great now but I think it will be even better in a year or so. On par with the Elkin Creek Family Reserve Red at a more attractive price point. The 2007 Merlot wasn't bad, but I'm not a merlot fan.
Next were two of the more unique offerings of the day; the 2008 Sparkling Niagra and the North Carolina Hard Cider. Both are carbonated, but the technique they used is spot on. Its not overly bubbly like champagne or harsh like soda, it almost lends itself as a smooth texture with some pop. I enjoyed both of these wines, they were unique and fun. The hard cider was particularly good with an excellent apple flavor on the finish.
I would highly recommend McRitchie as a stop if you're planning a tour of the area. I ended up buying some of the Fallingwater, Ring of Fire and the Hard Cider. But I just may have to go back for some more :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment